MARKER WILL PAY TRIBUTE TO HISTORY OF HARVEYS LAKE
Saturday, June 14, 1997 Page: 6A
AN OFFICIAL STATE MARKER TO RECOGNIZE THE HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE OF HARVEYS
LAKE WILL BE DEDICATED AT 1:30 P.M. SUNDAY, JUNE 22, AT THE HARVEYS LAKE
Marker will pay tribute to history of Harveys Lake
An official state marker to recognize the historical significance of
Lake will be dedicated at 1:30 p.m. Sunday, June 22, at the Harveys Lake
Borough buildingThe Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission in
Harrisburg, Harveys Lake Borough Council, the Pennsylvania Humanities Council
in Philadelphia, and the Wyoming Historical & Geological Society in
Wilkes-Barre are sponsoring the official marker.
Harveys Lake was discovered by the West Nanticoke settler Benjamin Harvey
in 1781. By the early 1900s, with the Lehigh Valley Railroad train to the
lake's Alderson section and a separate trolley line to the Sunset section, the
lake was among the state's premier resort regions. Steamboats provided
passenger service around the lake and to the amusement park that was operated
between 1891 and 1984. Major public beaches where at Sunset and Sandy Beach,
with several hotels at the lake to serve thousands of visitors.
The state historical commission, along with local sponsors, erects official
state markers to recognize the state's most important sites, events and
people. The Harveys Lake marker was nominated by lake historian F. Charles
Petrillo, vice president of the Wyoming Historical & Geological Society.
Financial support for the marker is provided by the Borough Council and the
Pennsylvania Humanities Council.
A third of the markers proposed each year are approved under the
commission's guidelines. Other recent markers approved for Luzerne County were
the Judge Jesse Fell marker, erected last February in honor of Wilkes-Barre's
first mayor, and the August 1994 Wyoming Division Canal marker now on the lawn
of the Luzerne County Court House.
The June 22 ceremony will be at the Harveys Lake Borough building on State
Route 415 at Sunset near the entrance to the lake. Borough Mayor Richard Boice
and council President Frances Kopko along with a state commission and
historical society representative will provide brief remarks followed by the
unveiling of the marker. Other members of Borough Council are George Andrews,
Edward Kelly, Martin Noon, Betty Jane West and William Wilson. The public is
invited to the dedication ceremony.