PITTSTON TWP. – A Delta Air Lines flight from Cleveland to New York made an emergency landing at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport on Friday.
The commuter plane operated by Delta Partner Comair diverted Flight 5109 to the airport in Avoca just after 5 p.m., according to the airline’s Web site. The flight from Cleveland-Hopkins International Airport was scheduled to arrive at JFK International Airport in New York at 4:45 p.m. No further information was available.
HAZLE TWP. – A Connecticut man suffered minor injuries after state police at Hazleton say his Plymouth Voyager collided with a rig while changing lanes on southbound Interstate 81 early Thursday evening.
James Russo, 68, of Windsor, Conn., was passing a Peterbilt truck-tractor in the right lane, state police said. As he was changing to the left lane, the rear of his Voyager struck the right front of the rig.
Russo’s Voyager then spun out of control into the median and rolled onto its roof, state police said.
The truck driver, Robert Price, 43, of Sugarloaf, was not injured, police said.
WILKES-BARRE – City police reported the following:
A woman reported someone entered her vehicle on Plymouth Avenue and took $200 worth of property on Wednesday morning, police said.
Police said a someone removed $1,383 worth of checks from a mailbox on Dagobert Street and then cashed the stolen checks on Wednesday.
Officers responded to a domestic dispute involving Tamika Gardner, 19, and Michael Vanluvenden, 52, both of Wilkes-Barre, on Academy Street late Wednesday afternoon, according to police.
Both suspects alleged the other initiated the dispute and harassed the other, police said. Police said charges of harassment will be filed against Gardner and Vanluvenden.
Katelynn Bezdiecki, of Plains Township, reported she was struck multiple times by an unknown juvenile female in the parking lot of Kirby Park late Wednesday night, police said.
Christopher Knight, of Bushkill, was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol after police said he was involved in an accident on North Empire Court near Sherman Hills, at 1:45 a.m. Thursday. No one was injured.
Thomas Shanahan, 51, said someone took medications from the glove box of his vehicle at 1331 Scott St. on Thursday, police said. The vehicle was unlocked.
Linda Kastner, 37, and Shawn Monique Patterson, 42, were both taken into custody after police said they were seen trespassing at the Sherman Hills apartment complex Thursday.
Both had active warrants, according to police.
• No injuries were reported in a two-vehicle crash on George Avenue and Parkin Street on Thursday, police said.
Police said Cindy Lavigne, of Kingston, pulled onto George Avenue from a parking lot and was struck by a vehicle driven by Christopher Schall, of Plains Township.
• Police said an someone fired a shot from a .22-caliber handgun through a window at a residence on Finn Street on Thursday.
• A door to a South Grant Street home was forced open on Thursday, police said.
• Police said someone smashed a window on a car parked on South Main Street on Thursday.
• Police said a 14-year-old boy was found passed out at Mill Street and Gardner Avenue just after 10 p.m. Thursday. The boy was cited for underage consumption of alcohol and treated at Wilkes-Barre General Hospital before being released to his parents, police said.
WILKES-BARRE TWP. – Township police reported the following:
• Bambi Friday, 30, and Yvette Davis, 37, both of Wilkes-Barre, were arrested after police said they failed to pay for merchandise at the Ollie’s store Friday. They were cited with retail theft and released on their own recognizance after being arraigned by District Judge Michael Dotzel.
• A Wilkes-Barre woman was arrested after police said she threatened a Kmart employee with a knife during a robbery on Wednesday.
Heather Lemal, 26, was charged with robbery, terroristic threats, reckless endangering another person, simple assault and retail theft. She was jailed at the Luzerne County Correctional Facility for lack of $10,000 bail, police said.
Police said Lemal exited Kmart without paying for merchandise. She was stopped by store security in the parking lot, where she brandished a knife and threatened the security guard, police said.
Police said Lemal was captured by Sgt. Kevin Kistler and Officer Jason Mozdziock after a brief chase.