www.timesleader.com News Sports Weather Obituaries Features Business People Opinion Video Contact Us Classifieds

Homicide suspect in custody

DA: Man wanted in Plymouth bar shooting located in Plymouth Twp.

Bull Run Tavern shooting suspect Jeremy Kendricks is seen with Plymouth Police at Monday’s arraignment in Nanticoke. Kendricks is jailed without bail at the county correctional institution.

Pete g. wilcox/the times leader


A man wanted in a deadly shooting at a Plymouth tavern on the weekend was captured at a home in Plymouth Township on Monday afternoon, Luzerne County District Attorney Jacqueline Musto Carroll said.

Jeremy Robert Kendricks, 26, also known as Squirm, was captured without incident at about 3 p.m.

“There was a massive police presence at a home in Plymouth Township,” Musto Carroll said. “They were ready to serve a search warrant when he surrendered peacefully.”

Musto Carroll said police were led to the township home by tips from the public. Plymouth police, state police at Wyoming and county detectives charged Kendricks in the shooting of Kirk Lipscomb, 26, of Scranton, inside the Bull Run Tavern just before 1:30 a.m. Saturday.

Lipscomb was taken to Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center, Plains Township, where he was pronounced dead.

An autopsy determined Lipscomb died from multiple gunshot wounds, Musto Carroll said.

Another patron in the bar, David Green, was treated at an area hospital for a gunshot injury to his leg.

Musto Carroll said the tavern was filled with patrons at the time of the shooting.

“I’m surprised no one else was killed,” she said.

Kendricks, with a last-known address of McLean Street, Wilkes-Barre, was identified as the alleged shooter by witnesses and Green, according to the criminal complaint.

After his capture Monday afternoon, Kendricks was arraigned by District Judge Donald Whittaker in Nanticoke and jailed at the county correctional facility without bail.

Attorney Demetrius Fannick said he was contacted by Kendrick’s family to arrange his surrender on Monday, but police already had located his whereabouts at the Plymouth Township residence.

Musto Carroll said that because of the ongoing investigation she couldn’t say how many shots were fired, the type of firearm was used in the alleged shooting or if the weapon has been recovered by authorities. She also declined to say if Kendricks is responsible for the gunshot injury to Green.

Musto Carroll said the Bull Run Tavern is “being looked at to classify it as a nuisance bar,” but was quick to add that part of the investigation is still in its early stages.

Police have responded to the tavern in recent months for fights and other disturbances, according to The Times Leader archives.

According to the criminal complaint:

Sherman Anderson told police he arrived at the tavern with Green and Lipscomb sometime between 1:15 and 1:20 a.m. Immediately after entering the tavern, Kendricks pulled out a revolver and placed it to Lipscomb’s neck.

Lipscomb grabbed the gun and pushed it away, but Kendricks brought the gun forward, firing a shot at Lipscomb, the criminal complaint says.

A struggle for the gun ensued and both men fell to the floor. Hearing more gunshots, Anderson ran for cover behind a pool table.

Court records say Kendricks was convicted by a Luzerne County jury in September 2005 in an attempted burglary at a pharmacy on Hazle Avenue, Wilkes-Barre. He was sentenced in April 2006 to one to two years and was released from state prison on Feb. 1, according to the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections.

A preliminary hearing for him is tentatively scheduled for Oct. 2.

The Weekender Go Lackawanna Timesleader The Dallas Post Tunkhannock Times Impressions Media The Abington Journal Hazelton Times Five Mountain Times El Mensajero Pittston Sunday Dispatch Creative Circle Media Image Map