www.timesleader.com News Sports Weather Obituaries Features Business People Opinion Video Contact Us Classifieds

Blackhawks back in series

CHICAGO — Patrick Sharp scored on a rebound 1:52 into overtime to give the Chicago Blackhawks a 4-3 victory over Detroit on Friday night, cutting the Red Wings’ lead in the Western Conference finals to 2-1.

Game 4 is Sunday at the United Center.

After a shot by Matt Walker, Chicago’s Dustin Byfuglien scrapped for the puck in front of the net before Sharp drove it in for his second goal of the game.

The Red Wings rallied from a 3-0 deficit with three goals in a 4:23 span late in the second period. Detroit’s outburst quickly quieted a raucous crowd at the United Center after it looked as if Chicago was in control.

Chicago coach Joel Quenneville made a goalie change at the start of the third period, with Cristobal Huet taking over for Nikolai Khabibulin. It was not immediately known if Khabibulin was just pulled or was injured, but Corey Crawford was announced as the backup goalie on the bench when the period began.

Nicklas Lidstrom, who broke his stick on Chicago’s winning rush in overtime, had a power-play goal, and Brian Rafalski and Jonathan Ericsson also scored for Detroit, tying the game with a period left. The Red Wings played without star center Pavel Datsyuk, who had a sore foot after being hit with a puck in Game 2.

Sharp scored on the power play in the opening period and, just over a minute later, Andrew Ladd beat Chris Osgood to give the Blackhawks a quick 2-0 lead. Samuel Pahlsson’s goal less than a minute into the second period made it 3-0.

The Blackhawks also were forced to go without a key player after Martin Havlat had to leave the game in the first period after a crushing hit from Detroit’s Niklas Kronwall knocked him to the ice.

The Weekender Go Lackawanna Timesleader The Dallas Post Tunkhannock Times Impressions Media The Abington Journal Hazelton Times Five Mountain Times El Mensajero Pittston Sunday Dispatch Creative Circle Media Image Map