Cookies, candy canes, gingerbread, fruitcake …Don’t let the foods from the most wonderful time of the year ruin your upcoming New Year’s resolutions. Find an exercise class, a yoga instructor and more in our Agenda listings!
Anthracite Hi-Railers Modular Train Club Model Train Display Dec. 26, Jan. 1, 2, 16, 1-5 p.m., at Vital Link Chiropractic (1190 Church St., Route 690, Moscow). Free.
Steamtown National Historic Site Visit www.nps.gov/stea for train schedule or call 570.340.5200
• The “Scranton Limited:” Wed.-Sun. 30 minute rides depart from Roundhouse boarding area Wed. at 10:30 & 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 & 2:15 p.m. A historic steam locomotive will operate Thurs.-Sun. 10:30 & 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 & 2:15 p.m. $3 per person, all ages 6 and older.
• Downtown Scranton Window Showcase: Every Wed. evening through Jan. 7.
• Electric City Trolley Museum Festival of Trees: through Dec. 31 during normal museum hours.
• Festival of the Three Kings Jan. 6, 5-7 p.m. in West Side Sr. Citizen Center (Jackson Ave., Scranton). $10 donation. Call 570.332.0753 for info.
• Nay Aug Park Christmas Light Show: Every night at dusk through Jan.
Dystonia Research Fundraiser Dec. 23, 5-10 p.m., at Shenanigan’s Bar (703 W. Broad St., Hazleton). $20, includes two drinks/buffet.
Inaugural Run for the Red 5K Run/Walk March 27, 10:30 a.m. at NEPA Regional Blood Center (29 New Commerce Blvd., Ashley) through the Hanover Industrial Park. Registration 9-10 a.m. $15 for single racers/walkers, minimum $15/per team member if part of Team Challenge. Make checks payable to Wyoming Valley Chapter of the American Red Cross, mail to Amy George, Development Coordinator, 256 N. Sherman St., Wilkes-Barre, Pa., 18702. Call 570.823.7161 ext. 322 or visit www.wyomingvalley.redcross.org or neparunner.com for info. All proceeds benefit Blood Services Program at Wyoming Valley Chapter.
Make-A-Wish (800.480.WISH, www.wishgreaterpa.org) events:
• Macy’s Thanks for Sharing Program: through Dec. 31. Program has raised more than $50 million for charitable causes, for info visit www.macys.com
The Big Band Society of NEPA:
• Members-only dinner dance: Jan. 8 at Genetti’s Hotel and Convention Center (Market St., Wilkes Barre). Doors 5:45 p.m., dinner 6:30 p.m. Music by The Big Band Connection. RSVP by Jan. 1 to 570.457.5009.
Dietrich Theater (60 E. Tioga Street, Tunkhannock, 570.996.1500, www.dietrichtheater.com) calendar of events:
■ Kids Classes:
• Holiday Camp: Pottery: Dec. 28, 10-11:30 a.m.; Painting: Dec. 29, 10-11:30 a.m.; Drawing: Dec. 30, 10-11:30 a.m. $35. Ages 5-12. Call to register.
• After School Players: Jan. 5-March 6, Mon., Tues., Thurs., 3:30-5:30 p.m. Free. Students learn theatre arts while preparing to perform the play “The Haunted Dietrich.” Call to register.
• Quilting: Wed., Jan. 13-March 31, 3:30-5 p.m. $6/class. Work with variety of colorful fabrics while learning hand-quilting techniques. Ages 6+.
• Exploring Sculpture: Preschoolers: Jan. 14, 21, 28, Feb. 4, noon-12:45 p.m.; Mommy and Me: Jan. 15, 22, 29, Feb. 5, 11:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m. $35. Learn to express yourself in 3-D while working with malleable materials. Ages 3-5.
• Mixed Media: Ages 5-8: Jan. 15, 22, 29, Feb. 5, 4-5:30 p.m.; Ages 9-12: Jan. 14, 21, 28, Feb. 4, 4-5:30 p.m. $35. Learn about different artists as you create pottery, paintings, drawing, more.
■ Intergenerational Classes:
• Open Studio: Painting, Drawing and Pottery: Jan. 11, 18, 25, Feb. 1, 9:30-11 a.m.; Jan. 12, 19, 26, Feb. 2, 7-8:30 p.m. $15/class, $50 all four. Work at own pace with medium of choice.
• Quilting: Wed., Jan. 13-March 31, 6-7:30 p.m. $6/class. Learn early American quilting techniques. Ages 13+.
■ Adult Classes:
• Pottery and Sculpture: Jan. 11, 18, 25, Feb. 1, 7-8:30 p.m. $50. Work on potter’s wheel and learn hand-building techniques.
• Intro to Knitting: Jan. 12, 26, 7 p.m. $20. Learn basic knit and purl stitches for scarf. Ages 16+.
• Jewelry Making: Cutting and Stamping Metal:” Jan. 18, 6-9 p.m. $50. Learn to cut metal using jeweler’s saw and other methods. Ages 16+.
• Decorative Painting: Jan. 20, 27, noon-3 p.m. $20/class + cost of painting surface. Ages 16+.
• Jewelry Making: Fun with Findings: Jan. 25, 6-9 p.m. $50. Learn about different types of jewelry attachments and easy wire wrapping techniques.
■ Special Events:
• Theatre Fun!: Jan. 23, 11 a.m. Free. A workshop about imagination and fun. All ages. Call for info.
• Tango Movie & Lesson: Jan. 31, 1-4:30 p.m. See “The Tango Lesson,” then learn the dance. Wear shoes with leather bottoms.
King’s College: (133 North River St., Wilkes-Barre, 570.208.5957 or www.kings.edu) events:
• Martin Luther King Program: Jan. 18, 11 a.m.-noon, Sheehy-Farmer Campus Center. Honors service/contributions of the late Rev. Free.
The Osterhout Free Library events (71 S. Franklin St., Wilkes-Barre, 570.823.0156, ext. 217)
• Board Game Night: Mon., 6-8 p.m. Play a favorite board game of your choice.
• Vinyl night with Jim Warner: every Tues., 7 p.m. Listen to Jim’s latest finds and bring your own favorites. Free.
Polka Dancing- Every Friday night at DAV Hall (516 Storrs St., Dickson City). For more information call 570.489.3258.
Scranton Holiday Light Show daily from 5-9 p.m. through Jan. 8. Free, donations appreciated. Call 570.348.4186 for more info.
St. John the Baptist Church (126 Nesbitt St., Larksville, 570.779.9620) events:
• 2009 Christmas play “Ferdinand’s Visit to the Manger” live nativity: Dec. 24, 4 p.m. features more than 50 volunteers. Christmas Eve Vigil Mass immediately follows. Call for info.
St. Michael’s Ukrainian Orthodox Church (540 N. Main Ave., Scranton, 570.343.7165)
• Pierogi Sale every Friday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
Electric City Trolley Museum and Coal Mine Tour (Cliff Street, Scranton 570.963.6590) Museum open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Festival of Trees: through Dec. 31, during museum hours. Trees $50/corp., $30/non-profit/small businesses. Awards given for best trees. Call museum for info.
St. Ann’s National Basilica Shrine and Monastery (Scranton: 570.347.5691) Group tours available by appointment. Open 9 a.m.-8 p.m. daily.
Steamtown National Historic Site (I-81 to Exit 53, Scranton: 570.340.5200 or 888.693.9391, www.nps.gov/stea)
• Ongoing: Interpretive programs, visitor center, theater and a history museum. Open daily, 9-5 p.m. Admission to museum complex includes all tours: $7 adults / $6 senior citizens / $2 children ages 6-12.
Adult Kung Fu (Kung Fu & Tai Chi Center, Wilkes-Barre: 570.829.2707)
Ongoing classes. Tuesdays, Thursdays, 6:30 p.m. Study of Chinese Martial Art open hand and weapons sets. Mondays, Wednesdays, 6:30 p.m. Class covers Chinese style theories, concepts and applications. “Sport” fighting concepts explained and practiced.
Aikido of Scranton, Inc. (1627 N. Main Ave., Scranton, 570.963.0500)
• Self-Defense Class taught by Aikido Master Ven Sensei, every Mon. & Wed., 7-9 p.m. $10.
• Traditional Weapons Class, every Thurs., 7-9 p.m. $10.
Back Mountain Martial Arts Center & Mountaintop Karate Center
For more info, call either location, Back Mountain (4 Carr Ave., 570.675.9535) or Mountaintop (312 S. Mountain Blvd., 466.6474): Visit Web site at www.fudoshinkai1.com.
• Instruction in Traditional Karate, Jujutsu, and Sivananda Yoga (Back Mountain): Tues., Wed., Thurs., 4:30-9 p.m., Sat., 8:30 a.m.-12 p.m. (Mountaintop Karate Center Mon., Weds., Fri., 4:30-9 p.m.
• Instruction in Traditional Karate, Jujutsu, and Sivananda Yoga (Mountaintop): Mon., Wed., Fri., 4:30-9 p.m.
Balance Ultimate Fitness (Belladaro Prof. Bldg., Gardner Rd., Elmhurst, 570.862.2840):
• Fitness Boxing class: Tues. & Thurs. 7-8 p.m., Sat. 11 a.m. Learn boxing and self-defense skills and get a great fitness workout at the same time. All ages/abilities.$7.
• Mixed Martial Arts class: Mon. & Fri., 7:30-9 p.m. Wrestling, boxing, more. $7.
• Core Conditioning class: Mon., Wed., Fri., 6:30 p.m. Improve your balance, agility, strength, and cardio fitness using kettle bells, medicine balls, therabands, balance balls, and other non-traditional training equipment. All ages/abilities. $7.
• Kids Fitness class: Tues. & Thurs., 4-5:30 p.m. Sat., 9:30-11 a.m. Calisthenics, balance, more. Ages 5-15, healthy snack included. $10
• Fitness Boot Camps: Get in shape in six weeks. Call for details.
• Cardio Boxing Class. Tue. & Thurs., 6 p.m., Sat., 11 a.m. Learn boxing and self defense skills. All ages/abilities. $7.
Bridge. Beginning or Intermediate Lessons, playing time for regular games and tournaments. Jewish Community Center (River Street, Wilkes-Barre). Call Rick Evans at 570.824.4646 or Rev. Ken McCrea at 570.823.5957.
Carbondale Chiropractic Center (267 Brooklyn St., 570.282.1240, www.carbondalechiropractic.com).
• Run with Doc: Every Sun. 9-10 a.m. at Lake Scranton. Jog around Lake Scranton with Dr. Andrew Rivera. Visit Web site for info.
Core Chiropractic Center (180 United Penn Plaza, Kingston, 570.718.1672 or 417.9662)
• Community Workshop on Weight Loss/Detox: Jan. 20, 6:30 p.m. Dr. Chris will help you discover why diets don’t work. Call 570.718.1672 to attend, free.
• Reiki Level 1 Training Class: Jan. 24, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. $195. Call 570.417.9662 to attend.
• Dinner with the Doctor: “How to Turn Your Body Into a Fat Burning Machine:” Jan. 26, 6 p.m., at Mill Hollow Café. Dr. Chris explains why diets sabotage long-term weight loss goals. Free. Reservations required, 570.718.1672.
Dance Contours (201 Bear Creek Blvd., Wilkes-Barre, 570.008.0152, www.dancecontours.com)
• Adult classes in ballet, tap, lyrical, CardioSalsa, ballroom dance.
• Children/teen classes in ballet, tap, CheerDance, HipTech Jazz, a funky form of dance developed by Jennifer Magnotta, blending basic Jazz Technique with the styles of street dance and hip hop.
Group and private instruction offered for all levels. All classes taught by Jennifer, a Qualified Member of Dance Educators of America.
Drawing & Painting Classes with Georgiana Cray Bart, Wilkes-Barre. Includes pencil, charcoal, oil, acrylic, pastel, colored pencil and more
• Young Adult/Adult Classes: weekly, afternoons and evenings
• Portfolio classes for the college bound
• After school/Saturday Classes: 10-12-year-olds
Drawing and Painting Lessons: An established realist painter will teach techniques of old masters to serious students, as well as those wishing to enhance skills. Private lessons available Fri.-Sun. Visit artist’s studio in Wilkes-Barre at no obligation. To schedule, call 570.820.0469, e-mail email@example.com or visit artist’s Web site at www.artistvs.com.
Drums, Guitar, Bass, Piano, Vocals & Recording Lessons, Mon.-Sat. at C&C Music Center & Recording Works, Hazleton. 12 instructors available to teach songs, music theory, reading, song writing technique and record engineering. For more information call 570.454.6105.
Fazio’s Hapkido Do Jang (61 Main St., Luzerne, 570.239.1191)
Now accepting new students. Children (age 7-12) Mon./Wed., 5:30-6:30 p.m. Teen/adult Mon./Wed., 6:45-8:15 p.m.; Tues.-Thurs., 6:30-8 p.m. Private lesson also available.
Learn Hapkido, the Korean martial art that uses natural movements unlocking hidden powers of strength and confidence. Self defense applications included in every class. Cost $50 monthly, no contract.
GregWorks Professional Fitness Solutions (1513 Pittston Ave., Scranton, 570.499.2349, www.scrantonbootcamp.com)
• Fitness Boot camp: 4-week sessions, Sun., Mon., Wed., Fri., 6:30-7:30 p.m.; Tues./Thurs., 8:30-9:30 p.m.
• Private/Semi Private Sessions Available, contact Greg at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Bridal Bootcamp: Sun., Mon., Wed., Fri., 6:30-7:30 p.m., Tues./Thurs., 8:30-9:30 p.m. Bridal Party Group Training and Couples Personal Training available.
Guitar & Bass Lessons available from Fox Studios (11 Rhine Creek Rd., Drums) Mon.-Thurs. 1-10 p.m. $16 per hour. All ages, all styles of music, beginner through advanced. Bring in a CD and we’ll teach you the songs. We teach: Music Theory, Ear Training, Reading, Song Writing, & Arranging. Develop Improvisational Skills. Create Demos. Hands-on Workstation. Guitar & Amp Rental Packages. Gift Certificates. Now Offering Beginner Drum Lessons. Call 570.788.4797 for info.
Harris Conservatory for the Arts (545 Charles St. Luzerne, 570.287.7977 or 718.0673)
• Adult Dance Classes, open to adults of all ages and levels, no experience needed: Beginner Tap: Tues., 7:30 p.m.; Ballet: Wed., 6 p.m.; Intermediate Tap: Wed., 7 p.m.; Hip Hop: Thurs., 7 p.m.
• Karate Classes, taught by Master Amy Wall, ages 5-adult, no experience necessary.
• Dancing With Mommy for children ages 2 to 3-1/2 . New classes begin in January.
• Tumbling With Tammy, ages 4-18, Fri., 6 p.m. Taught by certified gymnastics instructors. No experience necessary.
Kiss Theater Co.’s “Dimensions In Dance” lessons Adult classes: Mon., 6-8 p.m., includes jazzercise and ballet boot camp. Thurs., 6-8 p.m., includes jazzercise and tap. Kid classes: Wed., 5:30-8:30 p.m., includes tap, ballet/hip hop, and hip hop/jazz. Thurs., 8-9 p.m., includes Fosse jazz. $10. Call Lee to register 991.1817.
Kwonkodo Lessons – by reservation at The Hapkido Teakwondo Institute (210 Division St., Kingston). $40/month. Call 570.287.4290 for info.
La Nota House of Dance (135 Main St., Luzerne, 570.714.7934, email@example.com)
• Friday Night Practice Parties: Features practice of dance steps. $5. Call for more info.
• Ladies Unite with Luanne: Mon., 7 p.m. Group dancing, no partners needed. Learn new steps, body movement, styling, shine patterns, more. Two groups available, for fun only or for performance. Call for info.
NEPA Bonsai Society (Midway Garden Center, 1865 Hwy. 315, Pittston, 570.654.6194, www.myspace.com/nepabonsai). Monthly meeting last Wed. of every month, 7 p.m. at center. Features business sessions and demonstrations/programs/workshops
Northeast Photography Club ( www.northeastphotographyclub.org) meets the first Wed. of each month at 7 p.m., in the boardroom of Prime Med (old Wes Freedman Building) off Morgan Hwy., (first parking lot on the left, just below Allied Complex). Meetings cover wide variety of topics and features monthly contest, guest speakers. Membership open to anyone interested in photography.
Academy of Northern Martial Arts (79 N. Main St., Pittston) Traditional Kung Fu & San Shou. For Health and Defense. Adult & Children’s Classes held Mon.-Thurs., Sat. First class is Free. Walk-Ins welcome or call 371.9919 or 817.2161 for more information.
Olympic Style Fencing classes will be given at The Fencing Exchange located above AFA Gallery, 514 Lackawanna Ave., Scranton, Monday-Thursday. Foil, saber, and epee taught. For more info, call 570.969.1224.
Private Voice Lessons Mon.-Thurs. by appointment. Learn proper singing technique in downtown Wilkes-Barre studio. Strengthen your breathing, range, and other vocal issues during individualized one-on-one private lessons with a NYC born and trained classical soprano with a degree in music and teaching experience. Specializing in opera/classical/musical theater. Hour and half hour lessons. Student discounts available. Please call 824.5428 or visit www.katrinalykes.com for info.
Pro Wrestling Training Center (570.740.1480. www.wwcprowrestling.com) Come check out the new center at 210 Division St., Kingston. Training sessions Tues.-Thurs., 6-8 p.m., Sat., 2-4 p.m. WWC All Star Pro Wrestling is the place to be. Be trained by Tommy Thunder and the Executioner and be part of the fun today - we will see you in the ring!
Royce Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Network, Scranton. Day and evening classes available for men, women and children. Ongoing classes six days a week. Classes cover the sport, combat, and self-defense aspects of famed Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. For more information check out www.gracie-nepa.com or call 570.347.1107.
• MANGA Art Class: (Japanese Cartooning) Wednesdays, 4-5 p.m. Learn the art of Japanese cartooning with Angela DeMuro in comfortable, individualized environment. 4-week session, all supplies included: $60 per child. Call or e-mail to register.
St. Joseph’s School classes (1627 N. Main Ave., Scranton, 570.963.0500):
• Traditional Weapons Class: Thurs., 7-9 p.m. Learn self-defense techniques using a cane, club, short stick, short/long staff, wooden sword, escrima sticks and more. Each week learn history principles and practical use. No prior martial arts experience necessary. $10 per class.
• Women’s Self-Defense Class: Sat., 10 a.m.-12 p.m. Learn practical self-defense techniques to protect yourself from a variety of attacks. No prior martial arts experience necessary. Wear loose fitting clothes. $10 per class.
Absolute Pilates with Leslie (263 Carbondale Rd., Clarks Summit, www.pilateswithleslie.com)
• Classes Schedule: Mon., Wed., Fri., 9-10 a.m. Private training on the Cadillac, Reformer and Wunda Chair, along with Pilates mat classes, stability ball core classes and more. Check Web site for updates.
Arts YOUniverse (47 N. Franklin St., Wilkes-Barre, 570.970.2787, www.artsyouniverse.com)
• Pilates And More: 8-week sessions, Mon. & Thurs., 5:30 p.m., Tues. & Thurs., 12 p.m. Learn Pilates and strengthen abdominals, reduce tension, and improve posture. Beginner to advanced, first session free. Call 814.3051 for info
Studio J, 2nd floor
• Meditation in the tradition of Gurdjieff and Ospensky: Sun., 12-1 p.m., $5
• Children’s Meditation: Thurs., 6-7 p.m. Ages 9-14, $5
• Tarot Card Readings, by appointment. $20 first half hour, $10 additional half hours.
Awakenings Yoga Studio (570.472.3272)
• Beginners Yoga: Mon., 6:30 p.m., Athletic Club (Rt. 315, Wilkes-Barre). $6.
• Gentle Yoga: Tues., 5:30 p.m., Candy’s Place (Welles St., Kingston). $5.
• Gentle Yoga: Thurs., 6:30 p.m., East Mountain Apartments. Free to residents.
• Private Yoga Instruction or Yoga Therapy: By appointment. $45/hr.
• Private Meditation Instruction: By appointment. $25/half hr session.
All workshops $15, pre-registration suggested.
• Sunday Morning Class: 10-11:15 a.m. Features Alternating Vinyasa style yoga with yoga fusion.
Classes at La Nota Dance Studio (135 Main St., Luzerne, 570.714.7934)
• Salsa Night Thurs., 7-9 p.m. at Luna Lounge (41 S. Main St., Wilkes-Barre)
• Zumba Fitness: Sat., 11 a.m.-2 p.m.; Wed. 4:30-5:30 p.m.
Dietrich Theater, Tunkhannock (60 E. Tioga St., Tunkhannock: 570.996.1500)
• Yoga for You: Mondays, Wednesdays & Saturdays, 10-11 a.m. $10 per lesson. Learn to reinforce the basic yoga poses, which gently stretch and strengthen the body. Special attention will be given to proper breathing and alignment in the postures. Please bring a yoga mat or beach towel. Call for details.
Egyptian Belly Dance Classes with Dianna Shahein. Call 570.343.2033 for various times/locations. Private/group classes available.
Everything Natural (426 S. State St., Clarks Summit, www.everythingnaturalpa.com, 570.586.9684)
• Traditional Egyptian Belly Dance: Every Wed. 6-7 p.m. $50/month. Call 424.5050 to register.
• Body Magic: Sat., 10 a.m. Includes Hatha Yoga designed to make changes in your body, and allows it to have a deeper experience of inner essence. $12 per class, $80 for 8-week session.
• Course In Miracles: Thurs., 6 p.m. Explore writings about nature of reality and learn how to clear away obstacles.
• Hatha Yoga: Mon., 9:30 a.m., Thurs., 9 a.m. $12 per class, $80 for 8 weeks.
• Hatha Yoga For Beginners: Tues., 9:30 a.m. $100 for 8 weeks.
• Hatha Yoga Svaroopa Style: Tues., 6 p.m.. Sat., 10 a.m. $15 per class, $100 for 8 weeks.
• Pilates: Wed., 5:30 p.m. Strengthen your body to become leaner and healthier. $80 for 8 weeks.
• Reiki Sessions: Sat. & Mon. by appointment. Call Sue Yarnes 387.6157 to register.
Exhale Yoga Studio (900 Rutter Ave., 2nd floor, Forty Fort, behind Beer Deli in the “big brick building,” 570.301.3225)
• Free style Vinyasa: Tues., 10 a.m.-11:15 a.m., Thurs., 2-3:15 p.m., Fri., 6-7:15 p.m. All levels, breathing, aromatherapy and guided meditations. $10 per class.
Fitness and Nutrition Boot Camp (NutriFitness Studio, 311 Market Street, Kingston, 570.288.2409, or visit www.thenutrifitness.com)
• 4 Week Fitness Bootcamps: call to register.
• FREE Boot camp every Saturday. Call for schedule and to register.
Goddess Creations Shop & Gallery (214 Depot St., Clarks Summit, 570.575.8649, firstname.lastname@example.org)
• Tarot Card Readings by Rev. Whitney Mulqueen. Private readings done by appointment. Parties and corporate events welcome. Call to book.
Goshin Jitsu Martial Arts Classes Every month at Golightley’s Martial Arts (Mark Plaza Shopping Center, Rt. 11, Edwardsville). Classes focus on cardio, stretching, defense, stamina and more. Self defense, cardio and karate aerobics also available. $75/month. Call 570.814.3293 for info.
Holistic Mountain Yoga: (Rt. 92, Falls, 570.574.3569, holisticmountain.theshoppe.com) Hatha Yoga, Mondays & Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. & Saturdays at 10:30 a.m. Ongoing classes cover Meditation, Breathing, and Postures with Aromatherapy for relaxation. $10/class
Kwon Kodo Lessons: Learn the self-defense system that combines different Korean Martial Arts such as Hapkido, Taekwondo & Kuk Sool. Lessons held at the Hapkido Taekwondo Institute (150 Welles St., Forty Fort). Cost is $40 per month. For more info, call 570.287.4290 or visit www.htkdi.com.
Mala Yoga (1815 Sanderson Ave., Scranton, 570.604.0945)
$9 walk-in, $60/month unlimited.
• All levels: Sun., 11 a.m.
• Ashtanga Short Form, all Levels: Mon., Tues., Thurs., noon.
• Morning Stretch: All levels: Sat., 10 a.m.
• Ashtanga Primary Series: Thurs., 7 p.m.; Advanced: Sat., 11:30 a.m.,
• Ashtanga Vinyassa Flow: Beginner/Intermediate: Sat., 1 p.m.
• Fundamentals of Ashtanga: Mon., 5:30 p.m.
• Slow Flow: Beginners/Intermediate: Tues.-Thurs., 5:30 p.m.
• Ashtanga Vinyasa Flow: Intermediate/Advanced: Fri., 5:30 p.m.; All Levels: Sun., 7 p.m.; Advanced: Tues., 7 p.m.
• Yoga Dance: Wed., 7 p.m.
Meditation/Yoga classes at Spectrum Health & Racquet Club (151 Terrace Dr., Eynon). Meditation: Fri., 7-8 p.m. Yoga: Sat., 9:45-10:45 a.m. $5 each class, bring mat. Call 570.383.3223 for info.
Padmahasta Yoga Classes (50 Main St., Luzerne, 570.332.7612, www.padmahasta.com) with Certified Yoga instructor, Michelle Pietrzak-Wegner. All classes drop-in basis, $10 per session.
• Gentle Yoga: Tues./Thurs., 7:30-8:30 p.m., Thurs., 11 a.m.-noon. Open to all levels.
• Basic Vinyasa: Tues./Thurs., 9:30-10:30 a.m., Tues., 6-7 p.m. Basic flowing yoga class open to all levels.
• Intermediate Vinyasa: Thurs., 6-7 p.m. Open to those with yoga experience/fitness background.
Pocono Yoga & Meditation Classes (570.472.3272, www.PoconoYoga.com) Classes with Suzi, certified yoga instructor
• Beginners Yoga: Mon., 6:30 p.m., Athletic Club (Rt. 315, Plains). $6 per class, first class free.
• Gentle Yoga: Thurs., 6:30 p.m., East Mountain Apartments. Free to residents.
• Private Yoga Instruction: Only by appointment. $35 per hour. Call to schedule.
• Private Meditation Instruction: Only by appointment. $35 per hour. Call to schedule.
Prana Yoga Studio (1112 Wheeler Ave., Dunmore, 570.341.8886, www.pranayogadunmore.com) All classes taught in vinyasa flow and geared for all levels of experience
• Mon.: Advanced, 6 p.m.; tai chi with Blake Wheeler 7:30-8:45 p.m. $12/class or $45/month. Contact Blake at 434.989.1045 or email@example.com for more info.
• Tues.: Beginner, 10 a.m.; Open Level, noon; Beg./Intermediate, 5:30 p.m.; Intermediate, 7:30 p.m.
• Wed.: Beginner, 5:30 p.m.; Advanced 7:30 p.m.
• Thurs.: Open Level, 10 a.m.; Beg./Intermediate, 5:30 p.m.; Intermediate, 7:30 p.m.
• Fri.: Open Level, 10 a.m.; Advanced, 6 p.m.
• Sat.: Beg./Intermediate, 10 a.m.; Intermediate, noon.
• Sun.: Intermediate, noon; Candle-lit Open Level, 6 p.m.
Reiki Classes (570.387.6157, firstname.lastname@example.org) Sessions with Sue Yarnes:
• Beginner Level I Class, $45-$65 for training over one weekend afternoon or two weeknights. All levels of Usui & Karuna Reiki training from Level I (Beginner) to Level IIIB (Master/Teacher Training) regularly held. Free children’s attunements, scholarships for adults available. Private Reiki & holistic counseling sessions $40 in Bloomsburg and Scranton area.
Reiki & Meditation (341 E. Washington St., Apt. 2, Nanticoke, email@example.com, 570.735.3540) Fri.-Sun. Call for appointment.
• Reiki Sessions: $40 per hour.
• Meditation classes: $30 per hour.
• Chakra Balancing and Crystal Energy also available.
Zumba Fitness Classes
• Mon./Wed., 5:15 p.m.; Sat., 11 a.m., at TLC Fitness Center (bottom of Morgan Hwy., Scranton). $5/class. Call 570.558.7293 for info.
• Adult classes held at Fitwize 4 Kids Tues./Thurs., 7:15, Sun., 11 a.m. on Keyser Ave. across from Keyser Oak Shopping Center Call 348.9383 for info.
Nescopeck State Park (1137 Honey Hole Rd., Drums, 570.403.2006) All events free, reservations required.
• New Year’s Hike with Greater Wyoming Valley Audubon Society: Jan. 2, 1:30 p.m. 3-mile winter hike. Registration required, call hike leader John Jakoby at 474.5884. Free.
• Hide-N-Seekers Craft and Story Hour: Jan. 6, 1 p.m. Children 3-5 explore nature through story/activities. Dress warm. Registration required to 403.2006. Free.
• Junior Bird Club Meeting: Snowshoe Fun: Jan. 9, 10 a.m. Kids 9-up head out on snowshoes to discover what birds and animals are out and about. Supported by Greater Wyoming Valley Audubon Society. Registration required to 403.2006. $5 fee for new members.
• Outdoor Explorers: Winter Adventure: Jan. 17, 1 p.m. Children 6-8 explore winter in the park on snowshoes. Registration required to 403.2006. Free.
• Girl Scout Day: Greening Your Home: Jan. 24, 1 p.m. Content directly ties into the “Try Its!” and badge requirements. First come, first served, $2 per child is due upon registration to 403.2006.
Northeastern PA Chapter of the Sierra Club
• Beginners Cross-County Ski: Jan. 10, 10:30 a.m. at Kirby Park. Bring skis, warm clothes, lunch, water. Call to attend, 570.819.2147.
• Cross County Skiing: Jan. 23, 10:30 a.m. at Bruce Lake Natural Area. Meet at Park and Ride (off I-84’s exit 8, Mount Cobb). Call 383.0105 for info.
Alcohol Anonymous: Mon./Fri 7 p.m. (373 N. Main St., Wilkes-Barre), Tue. 7 p.m. (25 Church St., Wilkes-Barre), Wed. 10:15 a.m. (301 Shoemaker St., Swoyersville), 7 p.m. (1000 E. Mountain Blvd., Wilkes-Barre), 8 p.m. (562 Wyoming Ave., Kingston), Thurs. 10 a.m. (75 S. Prospect St., Nanticoke), 7:30 p.m. (301 Lake St., Dallas), Fri. 7:30 p.m. (Triangle 24 Hour Club, Dallas), Sat. 7:30 p.m. (1003 Wyoming Ave., Forty Fort), Sun. 7 p.m. (128 W. Washington St., Nanticoke). Call 570.288.9892 for more info.
Beehive Area Narcotics Anonymous (Wilkes-Barre-Kingston-Nanticoke-Mountaintop) 24 hour phone line: 570.654.7755 or 1.866.935.4762.
Food Addicts Anonymous Meetings (St. Vincent DePaul Church, Scranton: 570.344.7866) Meetings every Fri. night, 8 p.m.
Nar-Anon Family Group Meetings Sun. 7 p.m. Clear Brook Bldg. (rear), Forty Fort; Wed., 7 p.m. United Methodist Church, Mountaintop. 570.288.9892.
Narcotic Anonymous Meetings every Tuesday at 7 p.m., downstairs in the Methodist Education Building, located off Courthouse Square, on the corner of Marion and Warren Street in Tunkhannock. There are no fees or dues. Newcomers always welcome.
Oakwood Terrace’s Support Group Meetings third Wed. of each month, 6:30 p.m., at Oakwood Terrace (400 Gleason Rd., Pittston). Call Sylvia for directions/info, 570.451.3171 ext. 116.
Overeaters Anon. meetings Mon., Tues., Thurs., 7 p.m.; Wed., 7:30 p.m.; Sat., 10 a.m. No fee, newcomers welcome. Call 570.829.1341 for details/meeting locations of visit www.oa.org.
“Party of the Month” Social Club open for new members, hosting upcoming parties at Newberry Estates, Dallas with music by The Statesmen. Call Ruth to join or for info, 570.655.1023.
Prideofnepa: A GLBT social group. Meets second Tues. of each month, 6:30 p.m., at Tony Di’s pizzeria (295 S. Main St., Wilkes-Barre). Allies are welcome. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for info.