Anthology Books (515 Center St., Scranton, above Outrageous, 570.341.1443, email@example.com) All events free, unless otherwise noted.
• Free children’s story hours: Tues., 11 a.m., Sat., 1 p.m.
• Writers’ Critique Group: Sat., noon. Led by local fictionist/poet Leslee Clapp. Bring poetry or short fiction to this fun and informal group with no pressure to get good solid writing advice.
• Monthly poetry reading last Fri. of every month, 7:30 p.m. Jan. 30 is an open mic format. Note: Anthology does not censor poets.
• Sit and Knit: Every first and third Mon., 7 p.m. Organized by local soapmaker/crafter Amber Reddinger, all experience welcome.
• First Friday Feb. Artist: Jonathan Steele’s abstract photo exhibit, “Abstractions.” Reception Feb. 6, 6-9 p.m.
Barnes & Noble Wilkes-King’s Booksellers (7 S. Main St., Wilkes-Barre, 570.208.4700)
• New Age Book Club, last Mon. of month.
• Mystery Book Club: first Thurs. of month.
• Keith Z: Jan. 28, 6:30-8:30 p.m.
• Dealer in Wares: Jan. 30, 7:30-10:30 p.m.
Children’s Story Time, Every Sat., 11 a.m.-12 p.m.
Dietrich Theater (60 E. Tioga St., Tunkhannock: 570.996.1500)
• Writers Group Thursdays, 7-8:30 p.m. The group celebrates all different types of writing styles and formats. Join anytime. Admission free. Call to register.
Kings College Events:
(133 N. River St., Wilkes-Barre, 570.208.5900, www.kings.edu)
• Campion Literary Society Writing Workshop: Feb. 3, 3:30 p.m., Sheehy-Farmer Campus Center. Student leaders will share writing exercises with participants. Themed, free and open to public. Call ext. 5487 for info.
Gallery/studio hours, Sun., 12-5 p.m.
• Story/Song Time with Mary Baker: Feb. 4, 10:15-11 a.m. Donations welcome, proceeds benefit Hoyt Library.
Wyoming Valley Poetry Society (P.O. Box 173, Wilkes-Barre, 570.823.0786)
• Donahue’s Poetry open mic night, first Sat. of the month at 9 p.m. at 215 S. Main St.
Voices of the Valley Storytelling enthusiasts looking for those who want to learn more about storytelling and to hone their art. Meet first Wed. of each month, 7 p.m. at the Osterhout Free Library, Wilkes-Barre.
AFA Gallery (514 Lackawanna Ave., Scranton: 570.969.1040 or Artistsforart.com)
Gallery hours Thurs.-Sat., 12-5 p.m.
• Life Drawing sessions: every Tues., 7-9 p.m., modest fee for lessons with live models. Call Phil for info, 561.7817.
• Drawing Socials: every Sun., 7-10 p.m. $5 GA, $2 student. A drawing group with live musical performances.
• “Pop Mandala,” paintings by Steve Kursh: through Jan. 29, features raucous mandalas painted on hot dog umbrellas.
Artist Matter (275 Wyoming Ave., Kingston, 570.714.0858)
• Drawing Classes: Every Sat., at Artist Matter (275 Wyoming Ave., Kingston). Ages 18+. Call for more info.
Blue Heron Art Gallery (121 Main Street, Wyalusing, 570.746.4922, www.blueheronart.org)
Gallery Hours: Mon.-Fri., 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Saturday by appt.
• Winter Members Show: through March 22.
Camerawork Gallery (Downstairs in the Marquis Gallery, Laundry Building, 515 Center St., Scranton, 570.510.5028. www.cameraworkgallery.org, firstname.lastname@example.org) Gallery hours are Mon.-Fri., 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sat., 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
• As Is: Photographs by Bee Ottinger: through March 1, opening reception Feb. 6, 6-8:30 p.m.
Everhart Museum (1901 Mulberry St., Scranton, PA, 570.346.7186, www.everhart-museum.org)
Admission $5 adults; $3 students/seniors; $2 children 6-12; Everhart Museum members free.
• Isaiah’s Corner: Enchanted Everhart: Opens Feb. 1. Explores fairy/folk tales by touching, playing and creating objects/illustrations.
Goddess Creations Shop & Gallery (214 Depot St., Clarks Summit, 570.575.8649, email@example.com)
• First Friday exhibit: Feb. 6, 6 p.m.-9 p.m. featuring works by abstract artists Keith Barbuti and Paul McCrone and photographer P. Simons. Refreshments served.
Lizza Studios (155 Bridge Street, Tunkhannock, 570.836.8806, www.lizzafineart.com)
Gallery hours Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sat. 10 a.m.-4 p.m.; Sun. closed.
• “Parallel Perspectives,” photographic images by Chip Forelli and Robert Rodriguez Jr.: through March 21.
Marquis Art & Frame (122 S. Main St., Wilkes-Barre, 570.823.0518) Gallery hours Mon.-Sat., 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
• Recent works by photographer Kim Hughes, painter Ed Kastreva and potter Tina Sherwood: through Feb. 28.
• “Not Yet Forgotten: Photography of James Dargocey:” through Feb. 15.
The Pierce Plaza Gallery (517 Pierce Street, Kingston, 570.709.1844)
Gallery hours: Mon.-Fri. 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Sat. 7 a.m.-3 p.m., closed Sun.
• Drawing by Roselea K Smith: through Feb. 21. Features drawings in graphite and colored pencil.
Schulman Gallery (2nd floor of LCCC Campus Center, 1333 S. Prospect St., Nanticoke, www.luzerne.edu/schulmangallery, 800.377.LCCC)
Gallery hours: Mon.-Fri., 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
• 2nd Annual Photography Invitational: Jan. 30-Feb. 27. Opening reception Jan. 30, 6-8 p.m. Images by current faculty of the Commercial Art Dept. and invited photographers.
Sordoni Art Gallery (River Street, Stark Learning Center of Wilkes University, Wilkes-Barre: 570.408.4325) Open daily 12-4:30 p.m.
• “Painting the Beautiful: American Impressionist Paintings from the Michener Art Museum Collection:” Feb. 2-March 15. Opening reception Feb. 6, 5-7 p.m.
Wayne County Arts Alliance (32 Commercial St., 570.253.6850)
• “The Art of Photographing Your Art:” Jan. 31. Features hands-on workshop lead by Michel Legrand.
• You Can Paint Workshop: Wed. mornings starting in Feb. Call for info.