Albright Memorial Library (500 Vine St., Scranton, 570.348.3000)
• “When Coal Was Queen:” Nov. 5, 6:30-8 p.m., director’s office. Local author Jay Luke discusses his book.
• Socrates Café: Nov. 24, 6:30-8 p.m., in Director’s Office. Features discussion group about topic of choice.
Anthology Books (515 Center St., Scranton, above Outrageous, 570.341.1443, firstname.lastname@example.org) All events free, unless otherwise noted.
• Writers’ Critique Group: Sat., noon. Led by local fictionist/poet Leslee Clapp. Bring poetry or short fiction to this fun and informal group with no pressure to get good solid writing advice.
• Sit and Knit: Every first and third Mon., 6 p.m. Organized by local soapmaker/crafter Amber Reddinger, all experience welcome.
• Monthly poetry reading last Fri. of every month, 7:30 p.m. Note: Anthology does not censor poets.
Barnes & Noble Booksellers (Arena Hub Plaza, Wilkes-Barre, 570.829.4210)
■ Special events:
• Book Fair: Nov. 7, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Benefits Misericordia University library. Features entertainment by the Misericordia Players, raffles, more.
Barnes & Noble Wilkes-King’s Booksellers (7 S. Main St., Wilkes-Barre, 570.208.4700)
Author Signing, all noon-2 p.m.
• John Malesic, author of “Secret Faith in the Public Square: An Argument for the Concealment of Christian Identity:” Nov. 19.
• Several authors of “Christmas Sampler” by Bethlehem Writers Group and colleagues: Nov. 21.
Monthly Book Clubs, all 6:30-7:30 p.m.
• Teens: third Mon. 6:30-7:30 p.m. Ages 14-18. Nov. 16 discusses “New Moon.”
• New Age: last Thurs., 6:30-7:30 p.m.
• “The Slug Club,” an all-ages club about Harry Potter: first Wed., 6:30-7:30 p.m., led by Charles Moore. Costumes encouraged, not required.
• “Gods and Monsters:” third Sat, 2-3 p.m. Nov. 21 book “Frankenstein, A Longman Cultural Edition” by Mary Shelly.
Live Music, all acts 6:30-8:30 p.m.
• Jon Casey: Oct. 30.
• Dealer in Wares: Nov. 6, 6:30-8:30 p.m.
• Sparrowsong: Nov. 13, 6:30-8:30 p.m.
• Young Readers Monthly Activity Night: first Thurs., 6:30-7:30 p.m. Ages 8-12.
• American Girl Doll Give-A-Way: first Thurs., 6:30-7:30 p.m.
• Story time: every Thurs. through Nov. 19. Includes coloring contest with gift card prize.
• Weekly Sat. morning story time, 11 a.m.-noon. Oct. 31, Halloween party.
• Monthly Mon. night PJ story Time: Nov. 9, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
• Local Crafters: Thurs., 10 a.m.-2 p.m. in café until Nov. 19.
• Henna artist Kathleen Kemmerer: Nov. 7, 3-5:30 p.m.
• Saujata Nair-Mulloth: Nov. 7, 6-8 p.m. Features demos of Indian classical dance.
Dietrich Theater (60 E. Tioga St., Tunkhannock: 570.996.1500)
• Writers Group Thursdays, 7-8:30 p.m. The group celebrates all different types of writing styles and formats. Join anytime. Admission free. Call to register.
Kings College Events:
(133 N. River St., Wilkes-Barre, 570.208.5900, www.kings.edu)
• Campion Literary Society Workshops: Nov. 3, 3:30 p.m. Sheehy-Farmer Campus Center. Free/open to public. Features 1 hour informal writing classes.
Wyoming Valley Poetry Society (P.O. Box 173, Wilkes-Barre, 570.823.0786)
• Donahue’s Poetry open mic night, first Sat. of the month at 9 p.m. at 215 S. Main St.
AFA Gallery (514 Lackawanna Ave., Scranton: 570.969.1040 or Artistsforart.com)
Gallery hours Thurs.-Sat., 12-5 p.m.
• Life Drawing sessions: every Tues., 7-9 p.m. Call Phil for info, 561.7817.
• Drawing Socials: every Sun., 6-9 p.m. $5 GA, $2 student. A drawing group with live musical performances. Contact email@example.com for info.
• 2009 Costume Ball: Oct. 30, 8 p.m.-midnight. DJ PartsNTafts, hors d’oeuvres, dancing. $10, RSVP to gallery.
• Annual Holiday Auction: Nov. 21, 6 p.m. $25. Live music, desserts, raffles, more.
Artist Matter (275 Wyoming Ave., Kingston, 570.714.0858)
• Painting Classes: Every Sat. Ages 16+. Oils, acrylics, watercolors, call for info.
Artspace Gallery Artists (Artspace Gallery, 221 Center St., Bloomsburg, 570.784.0737)
Gallery Hours Thurs.-Sat., 12-8 p.m., Sun., 12-5 p.m., or by appointment.
• “Clay! Cloth! Color:” through Nov. 15.
Camerawork Gallery (Downstairs in the Marquis Gallery, Laundry Building, 515 Center St., Scranton, 570.510.5028. www.cameraworkgallery.org, firstname.lastname@example.org) Gallery hours are Mon.-Fri., 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sat., 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
• “The Photography of Mike Coviello … A Retrospective:” through Nov. 3. This retrospective was curated by Carl Backlund, Bernie Andreoli and Rolfe Ross to celebrate the late photographer.
Everhart Museum (1901 Mulberry St., Scranton, PA, 570.346.7186, www.everhart-museum.org)
Admission $5 adults; $3 students/seniors; $2 children 6-12; Everhart Museum members free.
• “Day of the Dead: Art & Culture in the Americas:?” through Dec. 31. Features contemporary art, folk art and the Pre-Columbian collection.
• Celebrating Ancestors: Student Art at Everhart: through Dec. 31. Features artwork relating to important people in student’s lives who have passed away.
• Isaiah’s Corner: Fiesta Fun with Calaveras: through Dec. 31. Hands-on gallery where children can learn about Day of the Dead. Adult guidance required.
Hope Horn Gallery (University of Scranton, 4th Floor of Hyland Hall, Jefferson Avenue and Linden Streets, Scranton, 570.941.4214)
Gallery hours: Sun.-Fri., 12-4 p.m., plus Wed., 6-8.
• Exhibit by P.W. Costello: Designer, Engrosser, Illustrator: through Nov. 20. Free.
Lackawanna College Environmental Institute (Rt. 435, Covington Twp., 570.842.1506, www.lackawanna.edu/college/environment-inst.htm)
• Naturally Photographic exhibit: through Nov. 5. Features synthesis of images from foothills of NEPA by Sally Robertson.
• On the Wing: Nov. 10-Dec. 11. Features collection of dream-like metaphorical paintings by Trix Render.
Pauly Friedman Art Gallery (Misericordia University, Dallas; 570.674.6250)
Gallery hours Mon.-Fri., 10 a.m.-8 p.m., Sat./Sun., 1-5 p.m. Closed Fri.
• “Capturing Realism 2009: The Waichulis Studio:” Nov. 7-Dec. 19. Works from nationally-renowned studio and artists of Anthony J. Waichulis. Meet-the-artists reception Nov. 7, 5-8 p.m. featuring gallery talk at 6 p.m. by Timothy Jahn on “The New Realism Movement” and remarks by Sharon Lloyd Hourigan, president of Cultural Council of Luzerne County. Free and open to the public. Visit www.thewaichulisstudio.net for more info on the studio.
• “Elemental Distraction: My Life in Colorful Bliss:” through Nov. 15, featuring the art of Dawn Siler.
The Pierce Plaza Gallery (517 Pierce Street, Kingston, 570.709.1844)
Gallery hours: Mon.-Fri. 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Sat. 7 a.m.-3 p.m., closed Sun.
• “In The Pink:” through Nov. 14. Meet the Artists reception Nov. 7, noon-2 p.m. Exhibit in shades of pinks and reds in support of breast cancer. 25 percent of sales go to Candy’s Place.
Schulman Gallery (2nd floor of LCCC Campus Center, 1333 S. Prospect St., Nanticoke, www.luzerne.edu/schulmangallery, 800.377.LCCC)
Gallery hours: Mon.-Fri., 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
• Old Masters 2009: through Dec. 4. Features paintings by Michael Molnar, students of LCCC’s Old Masters Class.
Sordoni Art Gallery (River Street, Stark Learning Center of Wilkes University, Wilkes-Barre: 570.408.4325) Open daily 12-4:30 p.m.
• Faculty Exhibition 2009: through Dec. 13. Works by Jean C. Adams, Sharon Bowar, Nicole DePolo, Beverly Glennon, Bruce Lanning, Darlene Miller-Lanning, Mary Lou Steinberg and Professors Emeriti Richard Fuller and Herbert Simon.
Widmann Gallery (Located in King’s College’s Sheehy-Farmer Campus Center between North Franklin and North Main Streets, Wilkes-Barre, 208.5900, ext. 5328)
Gallery hours: Mon. through Fri. 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Free and open to the public.
• “The Boardwalk and Beyond:” through Nov. 13. Meet the Artist reception Oct. 23, 6-8 p.m. Local artist Mindy Nardone’s photos explore boardwalks and beachscapes.
• The Seventh Invitational Emerging Arts Exhibit: Nov. 20-Dec. 18. Annual presentation of artistry by area high school students.
The Wyoming Valley Art League (47 N. Franklin St., Wilkes-Barre, www.wval.org)
• Bob Heim: The Single Panel Cartoon: Oct. 31, Nov. 17, 1-3 p.m. $20/class, includes materials. Learn to think inside the box and develop own drawings.
• Composing, Drawing and Painting from Your Photos: Oct. 29, Nov. 5, 12, 19, 4-7:30 p.m. $120+art league fee. Students must provide own materials.
• Georgiana Cray Bart: Composing, Drawing and Painting Still Life: Oct. 31, Nov. 7, 21, Dec. 5, 11 a.m.-2:30 p.m. $120. Uses soft pastels, oils, acrylics.
• Art under the Sun: WVAL Annual Art Auction: Nov. 6, 5-9 p.m. at Mohegan Sun at Pocono Downs, Plains Twp. $30, RSVP by Oct. 31 to 570.288.1020.
• Peyote Bracelet Workshop: Nov. 7, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. $28/person, $10/kit fee. Provides basics of peyote stitch.