The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Pioneers will be looking for payback this week.
The team, which lost to Kentucky in Week 3 of the season, will play the Horsemen 7 p.m. Saturday at Wachovia Arena in the American Conference semifinals.
The Horsemen (11-6) advanced by defeating South Georgia, 66-63,on Saturday. Kentucky, which is the fifth seed in the conference tournament, trailed by 17 points with 9:55 left in the third quarter but took control thanks to a defensive stop and a fumble recovery in the end zone.
The quarterback combination of Justin Rascati and Jared Lorenzen tallied five rushing TDs and three through the air to knock off the fourth-seeded Wildcats.
The Pioneers (14-3) dropped a 63-56 decision to Kentucky on April 11, but that game was at Rupp Arena. This time, the game will be in Wilkes-Barre Township.
In other American Conference playoff action, defending champion Tennessee Valley was upset by Green Bay, 60-56 on Saturday.
The Blizzard (11-6) got a 4-yard pass TD with 5:26 left, then intercepted Vipers QB Kevin Eakin in the final minute, to pull out the victory. Green Bay, the tournament’s No. 6 seed, advances to the semifinals to face Iowa.
The second-seeded Barnstormers (13-4) defeated Manchester, 70-53, on Friday. Manchester held a 19-7 lead after the first quarter, but was held to 20 points in the second half, while Iowa scored 42 to get the victory.
The winners of this weekend’s semifinals advance to the conference finals Aug. 14-15 at the site of the highest remaining seed.
(1) Pioneers 78, (8) Albany 21
(2) Iowa 70, (7) Manchester 53
(5) Kentucky 66, (4) South Georgia 63
(6) Green Bay 60, (3) Tennessee Valley 56
(1) Spokane 62, (8) Stockton 21
(2) Tulsa 90, (7) Oklahoma City 75
(3) Bossier-Shreveport 56, Rio Grande 46
(4) Boise 77, (5) Arkansas 36
(5) Kentucky at (1) Pioneers, 7 p.m. Saturday
(6) Green Bay at (2) Iowa, TBA
(4) Boise at (1) Spokane, TBA
(3) Bossier-Shreveport at (2) Tulsa, TBA
Friday, Aug. 14 and Saturday, Aug. 15 at highest remaining seed
Saturday, Aug. 22 at Orleans Arena, Las Vegas