WILKES-BARRE – Attorneys for a Hazleton man scheduled to stand trial Monday for a fatal shooting outside a Hazleton nightclub filed court papers Thursday requesting no photos of the victim involved be shown to a jury.
Attorney Joseph Sklarosky Sr. and newly appointed attorney Michael Palermo Jr. filed court papers Thursday making that request, as well as a request to prohibit any media accounts of the case from being presented at Johan Pujols trial.
Pujols, 24, was charged in an Aug. 1, 2009, shooting in which police say he fired multiple shots from a .380-caliber semi-automatic handgun, killing Yeury Manuel Colon, 25, and injuring Luis Perez-Rodriguez, then 23, outside Club 570 on Stockton Road in Hazleton.
Sklarosky and Palermo said in court papers there are several photos of Colon lying on a gurney with tubes coming from his body that they believe will “inflame the jury.”
The attorneys also said there are autopsy photos they also don’t want shown to the jury.
“Any probative value of said photographs is outweighed by unfair prejudice to the defendant,” the attorneys wrote.
Sklarosky and Palermo also requested that a judge prohibit any television news coverage or news videos of Pujols from being shown to a possible jury.
“Television videos from the various stations is highly inflammatory in that there is language in the news cast of stabbings in Hazleton, interview of neighbors, courthouse news conference by the district attorney, opinions by the district attorney that Club 570 is a problem bar,” they wrote.
Luzerne County Judge Tina Polachek Gartley previously scheduled a hearing for Friday morning for attorneys to argue the most recent requests, as well as security measures and instruction to be given to jurors attorneys discussed last week.
Sklarosky also previously asked that the jurors be allowed to view the premises of Club 570.