Today hundreds of millions of Christians around the world celebrate the resurrection of their Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. And today Christians will be persecuted, attacked, arrested for being Christian and maybe even killed. Today the Bible, the Holy Book of Christianity, will be burned.
These things will happen in Muslim countries like Saudi Arabia and Egypt.
But you’ll have to dig deep into the news to hear anything about persecution of and attacks on Christians.
That’s because attacks by Muslims on Christians don’t fit into the media’s template that it is Christians who are intolerant and violent against Muslims.
Yes Bibles are burned everyday and Christians simply turn the other cheek. But let one kook, a so-called minister in backwater, Florida, burn the Koran and look out. Random violence in the Middle East kills 15 people and who will our media blame?
Not the perpetrators of the random violence, no, they are excused. The blame falls squarely on the kook Koran-burner and by extension American Christians.
Oops, I goofed
Two weeks ago I named the wrong judge in writing about the letters sent to the court requesting sentence leniency in the Judge Toole case. The Judge in the Toole case is U.S. Middle District Judge Richard P. Conaboy.
Sorry about the error and thanks to Joe Castellino for calling me on it.
In that column two weeks ago I wrote about how many little American flags are made in foreign countries. I got the following email from Carl Yorina this week.
“ABC national news is doing an ongoing series on American made products. Tonight, they did a report on Annin Flag Company. These U.S. made flags are of excellent quality. The one I have has lasted over a year. I checked out their on line catalog and guess what? They make miniature flags. I honestly didn’t know this. Just wanted to let you know.”
Thanks for the heads up, Carl.
The key words in the email are “excellent quality.”
What the Frack?
At a Wyoming Valley Sanitary Authority meeting Tuesday, John Minora of PA Northeast Aqua Resources explained how a proposed plant in Hanover would treat fracking water. He said 80 percent of the water treated at the plant would be returned to drillers for reuse in drilling, and the remaining 20 percent would be treated a second time using a reverse osmosis process that removes salt and dissolved solids from the water.
He was quoted directly in the Times Leader saying, “It’s much cleaner than the treated effluent that we currently discharge, and it’s cleaner than the water that’s already in the Susquehanna,” adding that many of the chemicals that would be removed from the water are found in much higher concentrations in gasoline and diesel fuel than they are in frack water.
He also said building the plant would generate income for the authority that would provide funding to build EPA upgrades at the current WVSA facility and alleviate the need for future rate increases.
Further he added the plant would also directly add as many as 20 jobs in the community as well as indirectly create jobs for truck drivers, inject money into the local economy and improve road conditions in the township.
For daring to buck the anti-frack crowd by saying these things he was booed and heckled.
Is Gov. Corbett backing down from his vow not to impose an extraction tax on the natural gas drillers? There are hints that he may be open to a “local impact assessment.”
Is that just a code term for a tax?
Well, maybe, but there is a difference between a local impact assessment and a state tax. In the former, the state doesn’t get any of the money, it all goes to the affected local communities.
While in either case the ultimate cost is going to be passed on to the consumers as a price add-on, at least in the case of the local assessment, the money is kept out of the hands of the spendthrift legislature in Harrisburg.
Mickey D’s is Hiring
Tuesday was a nationwide hiring day at McDonald’s Restaurants across the country. The company planned to hire 50,000 new workers in one day.
The TV news reports of the event just had to point how entry-level full-time McDonald’s workers earn less than the poverty line.
I would love to see a follow up story two years from now which would track some of the workers hired on Tuesday.
They won’t follow up on it because here’s what such a story would likely show: most of the workers hired in April of 2011 moved on the bigger and better things, some within McDonald’s and others elsewhere.
There will be no such story because it won’t fit in with the media bias against McDonald’s which says McDonald’s must be demonized as Big Hamburg, an evil exploitive business which keeps people in poverty while at the same time making them obese.