The year 2011 will be the last for Saint Mary’s Assumption School in Pittston. The school has been a center of learning for youth in the Greater Pittston area since 1868.
The school began in the sacristy of the church on wooden benches taught by Henry Baumeister. His descendents still attend the school today.
A first wooden school building was built in 1890 on the corner of Church and Sand streets. In 1924, construction of a new school building, behind the original building, began and remains today as Saint Mary’s Assumption School.
Generations of families have attended Saint Mary’s. Many new families have realized the value of an education at Saint Mary’s. Many teams have played in the gym, Halloween Bonanzas have been held on the site and graduating classes have passed through the doors.
Saint Mary’s Assumption School has been a part of many families’ lives in the Greater Pittston Area.
When the doors of St. Mary are closed on June 15, 2011, it will be the first time since before the Civil War that there will not be a Catholic school in the city of Pittston.
On Thursday, June 2, at 5:30 p.m. a Mass to rejoice in the years of education that Saint Mary’s has brought to the community will be celebrated. Members of the school community will participate. A reception will follow from 6:30 until 9:30 with an open house and refreshments at the school.
All friends and alumni of Saint Mary’s and their family members are invited. To respond to the open house call 654- 8313.
Pictured are the 2010-2011 faculty and staff of St. Mary’s Assumption School, Pittston. First row, Anne Powers, Elaine Waugh, Ann Marie Walsh, Maureen Conlon, Karen Conlon, Evelyn Owens, Elizabeth Nardiello and Joan Dowd. Second row, Cindy Terrana, Jennifer Snyder, Wendy Dunbar, Lisa Kelly, Jerry Renfer, Mary Jane Kozick, Any Layaou, Larry Hughes, Melissa Skutack, Maureen Capitano and Karen Melvin. Absent from photo, Michelle Pinto, Sharon Bosco and Yvonne Gordon.